Lately at WaterMemory Towers, there have been a few disruptions to the normal merry-go-round of Proust, elegant detachment and eye-wateringly expensive cheeses (note: this is probably a lie). So, apart from the crafting, it’s been all about the following:
– romance novels and the people who love/ mock them
– Dream Theater: you name me one band who can put honky tonk pianny (never piano) in a seven-minute orgy of technical metal with a straight face. See also Boston and Hawkwind: shaddaaaaaaaaap!
– food habits that are the subject of affectionate/ bewildered injokes. Translation: potatoes are not just for dinner, people!
– channel-hopping on digital TV packages to see how silly the channel names and programme listings get (answer: very)
– The Bold & The Beautiful or more correctly, trying to make it through three minutes of it without dying of laughter
I’m fascinated by guilty pleasures and what constitutes one- feel free to share some of yours in the comments.
Another moment of epic! fame! over TBCT way on buying local, small-scale and independent and what it means to your local starving artist. This is a subject dear to my heart and has been from early on, considering that growing up, we did (and still do) most of our food shopping in a place currently being run by the sixth generation of the family. More on ‘buying different’ in a future post.
The classes went well for us all- a learning experience all round. I was bowled over by the creativity and good humour of my charges (and thankful for their patience, as they got to grip with the feeling that one needs about 38 fingers for crochet when starting off!), and have been completely inspired by the experience. Result!
My DesignerMart colleagues are full of inspiration and good ideas- Deirdre Griffin is making the most beautiful stud earrings with her fused glass, Fifi Le Rue has gorgeous new silky shoulder bags.. and needless to say, I’ve ordered half a dozen of each. On a completely unrelated note, is anybody interested in 1/4 of an absolutely spotless liver? Just asking. No? I guess I’ll try eBay again..
DesignerMart gets crafty! Myself and a few other DesignerMart folk will be teaching classes on Saturday, 25th July during market hours. The classes include knitting, applique, crochet, jewellery-making and bead-making, and the prices listed include the cost of the kits.
More details here. Would-be crafters, come on down!
In the previous CW post, it was all about the clothes- knowing what you have and getting rid of what doesn’t work. But your sterling work is not yet done. There are a few things we may have overlooked along the way.. brace yourselves folks, it’s part two. Man, where’s there a dramatic moment video when I need one?
Ah, there we go. First off, it’s time to look at the overlooked- accessories.
Continue reading “the clever wardrobe, part two”